Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Men's Dress shirt to Little Girls Jumper

I have been working on A LOT of sewing projects in the last couple months while we have been snowed in, and this one was the first...a girls jumper from a men's button down shirt.

Unforunately I can't find the "before" picture, but this shirt is pretty similiar except the one I used had two pockets meaning more work for me ripping the pockets off, but so worth it.



The best part of this sewing project is that a lot of the major sewing is already done for you.  Basically the back of the shirt becomes the front of the jumper allowing you to utilize the yoke and the pleat.   


The front of the men's shirt becomes the back adding character with the lovely row of buttons.  This row of buttons adds charm, but best of all, I didn't have to master them because it was already done for me! 



  I used the material from the sleeves to make the simple shoulder straps, and I have enough leftover to make a headband in the future.  This time I attached the straps too far apart so I'll probably be fixing that at some point, but for now we can live with it.  All in all, I am pretty pleased with this creation.

I tried to get some shots of my daughter in "action" so I bribed her (don't judge).  I let her have one of the roses hubby got me for Valentine's day...so just ignore the fact that it looks like she is going to eat it.  (-;


I am linking this post to Kimba's DIY day...check out the tons of creativity gathering over there!




DIY Day @ ASPTL


And also I'm linking to Somewhat Simple Strut your stuff Thursday! Lots more inspiration over there!
giveaways


**If you are interested in reconstructing your own creation, check out craftster for a great tutorial.  It definately helped me on this project.

7 comments:

Denise @ Sunflowers, Chocolate and Little Boys said...

That is adorable! If you find any cute ideas for boys clothes, please let me know.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Cuteness!!! I wish the hubs hadn't just donated a huge pile of shirts!!! ;) Thanks so much for the visit and the new icing tip. :)

Jane said...

This is a terrific idea! There are so many beautiful mens shirts at goodwill. I will definitely save this idea in case we ever have a girl. I remember seeing some patriotic shirts- so perfect for 4th of July! Seersucker for spring! The ideas are endless!

Cas said...

Very cute! I just need a little girl to make it for...Or I could make my niece one!

ImagineCozy said...

Now that was CLEVER!!
-Angela

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I have a shirt that would be perfect for a dress like this. I AM going to make one like this! bookmarking this post so I can come back to it! Thanks for linking this up to somedaycrafts.blogspot.com for Whatever Goes Wednesday!

bred said...

It's adorable and amazing!!, you have just used your key skills and made a very good girls dress. I appreciate if you can give some ideas for the boys also. It's a very good option to create dress shirts for the boys also.