Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Classic Cowgirl Bedroom....Bandana Quilt, Curtains and more!

Due to our impending November arrival of our second daughter, we decided to make my sewing room into our 4 year old daughter's bedroom, and the new baby will have her old room.   Ally wanted the theme of her new room to be horses, and she wanted it to be blue. 

It soon became apparent that this low budget makeover was going to be blowing the budget if I purchased premade bedding so after brainstorming, I decided to make a quilt out of banadanas!  It was a very easy and low cost way to get the look we were going for.  

So without further adieu, I present to you Ally's "cowgirl" quilt! 

This quilt cost me a whooping $18 dollars to make...
I spent $16 for 16 banadanas (Our Walmart sells them 2 for $2), the quilt batting I had picked up at a yardsale brand new over a year ago for $2, and I used a flat navy sheet from my stash of unused linens.

The bandana pillows cost me $2 each for the bandanas, but I used old throw pillows and recovered them.  I also made a pillowcase from some scraps of eyelet to soften up the dark colors.

Originally I was just going to do eyelet curtains, but decided to make bandana panels on each side of the window to carry the theme.  I also bought the white embroidered material on clearance which significantly saved me money compared to buying eyelet.  The total cost for each window $12.  I bit higher than I would have liked, but definitely worth it to carry the theme and soften the look.  Eventually I also want to add tie backs, I might use rafia for that.


To start adding in the horse theme, I took two pictures that I had photographed during one of our trips to Assateague, Maryland and had them blown up into canvases, thanks to a special at ArtsCow.  The canvases cost me a total of $16 for the two of them with free shipping. 

I was very impressed with the quality of ArtsCow and they do have some great specials and credits.  Shipping was a little slow and can be expensive if you don't get a deal on free shipping.  They are located in Hong Kong hence slow shipping times.  I framed both canvases, one frame I had already, the other I picked up at our local Goodwill for $2.

 

To carry on the cowgirl theme, I made a "rodeo" sign using a piece of scrapwood my Uncle was throwing out and used a stencil from my Cricut.  Quick and easy, just stained the wood, stuck the vinyl stencil to the wood and spray painted it.  The white hat was my late grandmother's so it has sentimentle value and the brown hat is one from my daughter's 2nd birthday party.  The rack was bought at an antique store a couple years ago.

Total cost spent so far... $76

I still have some things that I want to add such as these bookshelves from Knock Off Wood (waiting for our 90 degree weather to break) and possibly make a new bed if I can get a great deal on wood , a nightstand, pictures and more accesories, but so far I LOVE how it looks! 




I'm linking this project to....

Creations by Kara










NightOwlCrafting


Blog Button








http://www.thethriftyhome.com









Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden



17 comments:

Alida L. said...

Wow how creative! I love the possibilities with a project like this! Great job!

Kristen said...

Tonya I love what you did! You definately need to tie back the curtains with rafia, that would be so darling! Great job!!

Sally Hamilton said...

I also made a bandana quilt using red, white & blue bandanas and a "fireworks" fabric for the backing. I hand-tyed the quilt, too. I love it - very cozy and comforting. The room looks great!

Room to Inspire said...

What a creative idea for bedding! I am sure your cowgirl loves it. Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired today.

Chelsea

Sachiko said...

Great idea, Tonya! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

great idea using the bandanas for the quilt,, our walmart carries some really cute ones. I'm sure your little girl is loving her new room

Samkay said...

Tonya, I love her room! she was so excited to show it to me the night of the bonfire. :)

Unknown said...

Such a cute idea to use the bandanas for the quilt and curtains.

Leslie said...

I love this idea! I made a bandanna tablecloth and I have recievedd so many compliments on it! I think the room turned out darling! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

Pam said...

What a fantastic room....great job.

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I love bandanas so naturally, I think this idea rocks! I can't believe you made curtains out of bandanas. That is totally cool!

Unknown said...

I am featuring this idea to somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

Anonymous said...

what a great idea! thanks for the inspiration!!!

Pati @ A Crafty Escape said...

I saw this featured in Someday Crafts and had to come to tell you how absolutely AMAZING it is!!!

bred said...

You have given me a very good idea to renovate my bedroom. I appreciate your creativity & really wants to be on the creative side from now. Thanks for your sharing.
Justwhiteshirts Web Store

Unknown said...

Can I please buy a set for a king size bed and I want the curtains too!!!

Unknown said...

Can I please buy one, for a king size bed and the curtains too.